Monday, January 26, 2015

Reading Diary A - The Infancy Gospels

My favorite part of this unit is Matthew’s retailing of the three wise men. It sets them up perfectly as men of power and prestige. They met with Herod the king, and were his guest. Even men of such statute fell in worship of the baby Jesus; that background adds a great deal of foreknowledge as to whom Jesus truly is. I don’t know about anybody else, but I don’t think I would bow and worship a baby (unless it was a baby like Jesus). I also like the info Mathew gave about the angel of the Lord coming to them in a dream, how they should avoid Herod. They knew how important this child was, and took the risk to protect him.

It also shows their commitment to the Lord they serve. They followed a star to find the child, and brought great gifts to his family all to see the glory of God. They literally came and left. The wise men only wanted to see Jesus, even if it was only for a night. I would do they same for sure.
(This depiction of the Three Wise Men was done by Val Stokes)

No comments:

Post a Comment