Monday, April 27, 2015

General Education Review

I personally hate that Gen. Ed. classes are specified already. Now, I have never taken a Gen. Ed. class that I haven't somewhat enjoyed; however,  I also put all of them at the bottom of my priority list because I am trying to get into PT school and science GPA is everything. I love the idea of Gen. Ed. classes, I just wish we could pick any one we wanted. I do not like how we have to have an upper and lower division and a western, artistic form, and non western. I would love for a university to allow me to just pick any class I wanted that was not already required for my major. I would of take an intro business class, or an intro engineering class if I could have. Both of those areas are of somewhat interest to me, and I would have loved just a bit more info (just because) about either of those areas. I also would of taken more psychology classes as well. I was only required two psych classes, and I wanted to take more because, not only does psych fascinate me, it would also benefit me as a PT. I feel Gen. Ed. classes are a great idea, but they need more freedom. The only ones that should be required are Government, Comp I and II, and History. It is stupid for a student that is a business major to have to take a science with a lab to graduate. It is also stupid for an english major to have to take pre calc to graduate. The student should be allowed to pick what Gen. Ed. and elective classes he or she takes.
(Image from Meme Generator)

1 comment:

  1. Cameron, I noticed this post because of the awesome meme (ha ha)... but I also wanted to say that I happen to agree with you COMPLETELY. It's so interesting to read the different comments people make about Gen. Ed. (people have so many different reactions to Gen. Ed.), but my sense of things is exactly what you say here: the best Gen. Ed. is when someone is excited about taking a course because they want to learn new things from ANY course in ANY college at OU... and OU has so many different kinds of courses to offer, way beyond what's on the Gen. Ed. list. Anyway, thanks for this. I love that meme!

    ReplyDelete