Sunday, February 1, 2015

Native American Stories: Brainstorming Styles

Topic: For my storybook I want to write about Native American stories. I have read many stories from the Creek nation, and loved them all. It will not be difficult for me to create a storybook about this topic. I will probably stay with just Creek stories and culture, mostly because Native American cultures and story themes very greatly from nation to nation.

Bibliography:
Book: The Hunters’ wives, Rabbit Steals Fire, and The Young Man Who Turned into a Snake from A New Fire
Author: Ernest Gouge
Year: 2004

Possible Story Styles

Present Day Creek Child: I think it would be a really cool spin to have a kid find a collection of stories from his past cultures. It would be a first person prospective and involve him (I would make the character a guy since I am a guy) discovering what info the stories hold. He would learn more about himself and his Nation. Probably involve the boy finding a new appreciation of his culture.

Camp Fire Setting: This would involve an elder passing on stories verbally to a group of people (yes a camp fire setting). He or she (haven’t decided on this gender yet) would be the storyteller for a clan and share the wisdom of the past with them.

Story Hopping: This style would be more geared for kids. Could have two or three siblings go through and relive a few stories. Kind of like how Dragon Tales does it, if that is ok to use their idea. I think this would be really fun to imagine and recreate some of the stories.


First Person Account: This style is always a fun one for me to do. I like trying to figure out what others are thinking. Telling a first person story through a character’s eyes allows me complete freedom to interpret the characters thoughts and feelings the way I see them. Considering the stories New Fire has, I can have a lot of fun with this style.
Image from Gulf Coast News

No comments:

Post a Comment